The acidic bite and balance of Sungolds create a robust marinade for late summer tri-tip. Think of this recipe as cherry tomatoes served two ways, doubled up for intensity: in the marinade blended with rosemary, garlic, and a little hot pepper, then as the relish’s backbone paired with Castelvetrano olives’ buttery brine, fragrant basil, and a jalapeno’s kick.
If you don’t have much time to fiddle with complicated recipes but can make it to a market that sells summer’s golden gems, this recipe will help you bust out a refined and nourishing summer meal.
1½ pounds of grass-fed tri-tip
¾ cup Sungold tomatoes
¼ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
1 medium clove, garlic
3 tablespoons Castelvetrano olives, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
2 cups of rinsed Sungold and Black Cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1. Place all of the marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend them until a smooth, sauce-like consistency forms.
2. Rinse and dry the tri-tip and place it in a gallon-size plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the meat and rub it against the plastic to evenly distribute the ingredients.
3. Place tri-tip in the refrigerator and let it marinate for about 5 hours.
4. When you are about ready to cook the tri-tip, turn the grill on medium to heat up.
5. Pull the meat from the marinade and whip off any clinging Sungold skins. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
6. Once the grill is hot, rub an oiled rag over the grates and place the meat at an angle on the grates.
7. After about five minutes, turn the meat straight to form crosshatch grill marks. Aim to grill the tri-tip for about 9 minutes on each side, for a total of 18 minutes of cooking time. As you cook the meat and then let it cool, make the relish.*
8. Once the meat is cooked, place it on a plate and loosely tent aluminum foil over the top. Let the tri-tip rest for about 10-12 minutes before thinly slicing it against the grain.
1. Mince the garlic, quarter the cherry tomatoes, finely chop the Castelvetrano olives and jalapeno pepper, and place the ingredients in a stainless steel mixing bowl with the olive oil.
2. Right before serving, add the salt and chopped basil to the relish.
3. To serve, tangle the tri-tip slices on a serving plate and spoon the relish over and against the slices.