1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into medium-sized florets
1 Fuji apple, medium diced
3 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (see the New Prostate Cancer Nutrition Book)
¼ cup roasted almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ cup pomegranate seeds, or dried cranberries
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash and cut the cauliflower into medium-sized florets. Toss the cauliflower in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread it out on a roasting sheet or glass pan. Dice the apple, toss it in lemon juice, and set it aside.
3. Start by roasting the cauliflower. After twenty minutes, toss the apple in with the cauliflower. Make sure the apple is coated in oil already in the pan. Continue baking for another 7-10 minutes, or until the apple and cauliflower cook through, and the cauliflower is slightly caramelized.
4. Let the apple and cauliflower cool, about ten minutes.
5. In a large bowl, mix the almonds, cauliflower, apple, balsamic vinaigrette, and pomegranate seeds. Check the mix for proper seasoning: you will probably need to add a pinch or two of salt and pepper.
6. You can serve this dish cold as a salad; or if you’d like it as a dinner side, warm it slightly before serving.