This easy to follow recipe yields tender, tangy, knee-slapping chicken. The cured peppers’ spiciness, honey’s sweetness, and mustard’s sharpness play tango against the chicken’s flavorful flesh and skin. You can pick the title that fits your style or audience best, but the quick preparation and easy cooking process make this recipe perfect for a busy weekday night ‘let’s get it done’ dinner, elegant weekend dinner, or body-packed summer grill party. You can marinate the chicken beyond four hours, so if you want a painless dinner, get the ingredients in the plastic bag the morning before grilling, go to work, and come home and put the chicken on the grill.
1½ pounds of chicken thighs or legs, bone-in, skin-on
2 tablespoon Dijon
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Calabrian hot pepper, chopped (or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon black pepper, ground
1. At least four hours before cooking, place all of the ingredients, except the salt, in a plastic bag.
2. Place the bag in the refrigerator. Allow the thighs to marinate for at least four hours, and then pull them from the bag, place them on a plate, and bring them to the grill.
3. Heat the grill to a medium-low flame and preheat the oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Season the chicken with salt.
6. Rub a well-oiled rag over the grill grates, and place the chicken on the grill.
7. Grill the chicken for about 6 minutes on each side, and turn the chicken often to ensure even caramelization.
8. Once the skin forms a nice brick-red crust and has cooked for 12 minutes, place the thighs in the hot oven to cook for another 25-30 minutes.
9. When the chicken is cooked through, pull it from the oven and top it with the Cherry Tomato and Basil Salsa (see above).