This easy to make and versatile sauce will leave your guests in ecstatic appreciation of summer’s bounty. The sun’s essence gets accentuated through Sun Gold cherry tomato gems. Ripe Sun Golds have the ideal balance of sweetness to acidity and a full flavor profile that will leave you slapping your knee with mouthwatering goodness.
If you cannot find Sun Golds, for this recipe you can use any ripe cherry tomato. If the resulting sauce lacks an acidic kick, feel free to add a few drops of red wine vinegar to kick up the acidity. Since the olive oil plays such a dominate role in this sauce, be sure to select high quality extra virgin olive oil.
This sauce works well on a variety of fish, meats, and other proteins: spoon it over grilled lamb chops, use it as a dip for gluten-free fried chicken or tofu, or drizzle it over pan-roasted salmon. This sauce even works well as a salad dressing.
¾ pound, Sun Gold tomatoes
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
3 ounces cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium clove of garlic, sliced
¼ teaspoon chopped Serrano pepper
salt, to taste
1. Wash and dry the Sun Golds, the Serrano, and the basil leaves.
2. Roughly chop the Serrano pepper and slice the garlic clove.
3. Place all of the ingredients in a blender.
4. Pulse the ingredients until a smooth sauce develops, which should take about 2 minutes.
5. Serve the sauce over grilled lamb chops, salmon, or chicken.